James Samuel Bell
James S. Bell is an experienced trial attorney whose practice spans from coast to coast and covers both civil and criminal matters in state and federal courts. His practice areas include complex personal injury matters, insurance reimbursement and claims, compensation disputes, accident and individual fault issues, and post-injury developments. James has litigated before jury trials, bench trials, and arbitration proceedings.
James is an aggressive litigator who does not back down until he gives his clients and their families not only compensation for their personal injuries but also monetary relief from the other party that caused the injury and a significant financial package of post-injury awards including therapy for physical injuries and/or emotional stress, rehabilitation, and subsequent complications. With James’ services and counsel, clients can be assured that their case is in good hands and that they will obtain the most favorable and largest monetary verdict or settlement possible.
James was named to The National Law Journal’s Elite Trial Lawyers in recognition of his achievement of the largest verdict in the nation in 2017. He has been a prosecutor for the State Bar of Texas Unauthorized Practice of Law Committee, has served as a Panelist and Speaker at the Advanced Family Law Seminar, and has been a visiting associate judge for the 302nd District Family Court in Dallas, Texas.
James is well known for obtaining millions of dollars in recoveries, settlements, and savings for his clients and their families who have suffered an injury that was not their fault. He has been recognized in multiple publications with awards such as the following:
- Super Lawyer
- Best Personal Injury Attorney
- Best Family Law Attorney
- Top Verdict 2015; Top Verdict 2017
- National Litigator of the Week
- The National Law Journal, Number 1, Top 100 Verdicts 2017
- Instructor, Trial by Human
James obtained his undergraduate degree from Southern Methodist University in Dallas, Texas where he graduated with honors. He has received scholarships including the following:
- Southern Methodist University Scholarship
- James Holland Scholarship,
- R. Nicholson Scholarship, and
- Southern Methodist University Student Senate Scholarship
He then went to law school at the Southern Methodist University and graduated cum laude and the Top 15% of his class. During his time at law school, James was an active participant in the Southern Methodist University Criminal Defense Clinic where he ardently represented indigent defendants charged with serious crimes.
James’s litigation practice spans the entire United States. He is admitted to the following courts:
- State of Texas; State of California
- State of New York
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Tax Court
- United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- S. District Court for the Central District of California
- S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
Some of James’ most notable trial experiences are listed below:
- James obtained the largest verdict in the United States and the ninth largest verdict in U.S. history totaling over $6,000,000,000 ($6 billion) from his representation of beneficiaries and estate against JPMorgan Chase Bank for fraud and breach of fiduciary duty, malice, conversion, and gross negligence.
- He served as lead trial counsel in a $50 million dispute and obtained summary judgment and resolved the dispute in favor of his client.
- James served as lead trial counsel for a high-profile lawyer against the Texas Commission for Lawyers Discipline; the grievance was dismissed.
- James served as lead counsel against a toxicology laboratory for the failure to make distributions and obtained a multi-million settlement for his client.
- He served as lead trial counsel for a physician and obtained a substantial jury verdict.
- He served as lead defense counsel in an STD transmission case where the evidence proved that Plaintiff was the transferee; case was settled very favorably for his client.
- James successfully served as lead counsel in a qui tam healthcare lawsuit and obtained dismissal for his clients.
- James served as lead defense counsel for a dentist in a construction dispute and obtained a favorable settlement after the client’s anti-SLAPP motion to dismiss.
Are you facing a divorce?
Don’t delay. Learn about your rights.